The greatest waste in the world is the difference between what we are and what we could be. John Grimes
I tried a bunch of diets in my younger years. They work. Temporarily. And I will never, ever do it again! There is a much more effective and healthy way to have a lean body. The main reason I started FitMania was to teach this better way. To help people understand that food is the solution and not the enemy. That eating rather than starving is the key to a healthy and lean body.
The connection between calories and weight loss is much more complicated than most people understand. While calories can be a factor, what is much more critical is WHAT you eat and WHEN you eat. One of the three principles of eating to be fit and lean without being hungry is to eat frequently. Sometimes people find this startling. Aren’t we supposed to cut calories and go hungry to lose weight? No! We recommend six meals a day.
- Your body is remarkable piece of machinery and like any machine it needs a constant flow of fuel to run at top performance.
- Eating often will stabilize blood sugars resulting in more energy, fewer mood swings, less depression, anxiety and food cravings.
- Food has a thermogenic effect. Eating is a metabolic activity. The actual act of chewing, swallowing and digesting builds metabolism.
- When we eat before we are hungry we make better choices and are less likely to overeat.
- Calories are the material you need to grow and maintain the muscle you are developing. If you don’t have enough material the first thing it will do is stop new muscle growth. It like building a house, if you don’t have enough material you can’t finish the job.
- Your body will eventually adjust your metabolism downward to accommodate the reduction in calories.
- You will lose weight by cutting calories but it isn’t sustainable. It is like holding your breath. You can’t do it indefinitely. Eventually you will give in and gulp in all you can.
- Dieting keeps us obsessed with food and can cause an unhealthy relationship with food.
- Eat every 2 ½ to 3 hours. This is about how long it takes for your body to break down the food you ate and begin using it for fuel.
- These are six even meals, not snacks and please don’t eat between meals.
- Eat your first meal within thirty minutes of waking up in the morning.
- When you first start this lifestyle you may feel like you are eating too much. In fact, you may get tired of eating so much. If you are used to dieting or thinking that you must be hungry to lose weight you may feel alarmed. Trust the system. This works! (If you would like to see real results from real people using this system see our 90-day RESULTS page on the FitMania Website)
- You may overeat sometimes. Do not worry about it and DO NOT skip your next scheduled meal. After you get the WHAT and WHEN of eating down you will cease to overeat.
- Eating this often will take more planning. Always know today what you are going to eat tomorrow.
- Cook in large amounts and freeze leftovers.
- When you are at work or in the car keep a small cooler with you filled with healthy food.
- Keep a list of foods and meals you love and keep adding to the list.
Make it fun and do not worry if you do not do it perfectly at first. Eating to be lean, strong and healthy is a journey.
Man does not simply exist, but always decides what his existence will be, what he will become in the next moment. – Viktor Frankl
FitMania offers 30 minute food consultations without charge to both clients and non-clients. We also have a food coaching program for those who feel like they need more accountability. For more info go to our website FitMania.com or call the office at (208) 345-2377
By Sherry Stirling Fernandez